Friday, September 30, 2011

I'm Back! And I'm...


gluten and cow's dairy-free.
uhm...let's do a quick recap since my last post, shall we? then we can just move on. technical training in Texas. meet boy. fall for boy. boy moves away. long-distance love. big phone bill. lots of airplane tickets. leave west texas. visit home in east texas. visit cali to see boy. engage boy. move to nebraska. blizzard(s). miss boy. marry boy. honeymoon in vegas. get first place of my own not a dorm. miss boy. boy moves to nebraska for six months. adopt two orange kittens. boy moves back to cali for work. get kicked out of air force for injuries. drive with two orange kittens to visit texas. drive with two orange kittens to move to cali. live with boy.
there you go. so yesterday, i found out that i have a genetic mutation that makes me senstive to gluten, meaning it hurts my gut to eat. plus also, i have a 1 in 35 chance to develop celiac. so now i have to eat like someone with celiac to not get celiac. also, cutting out cow's dairy, because that's also hard on the gut. and something about a methyl form of folate. basically, i am going to take some suppliments, change my birth control and my diet, and i will be like a whole new person. also an MRI of the brain. because i get headaches, to make sure the pituitary gland is doing what its supposed to.
now, this change of diet is going to be ROUGH. im from the south. i love to cook. i love to bake. i love butter. (i also just made 400 cookies for a family reunion that i cant eat anymore.) its like completely relearning my craft. i wasnt overly upset at first. i did cry when i realized- no more of my favorite Chik-Fil-A foods.
so, i think i will be chronicling my journey here. products, experiments, meals, thoughts.
for instance, this bread makes my gums hurt. i dont want this one anymore.

1 comment:

  1. There are so many gluten-free options and tons of gluten-free blogs! Now you will just find new recipes and new ways to bake your favorite things! One of my best friends is gluten intolerant and she says she feels better than ever (since changing her diet), and thus doesn't even look back or miss foods with gluten.

    Transitions are hard though! Wishing you the best of luck!! :D

    ReplyDelete